Sunday 28 August 2011

The current display adapter does not meet the emulator requirements to run XNA Framework applications.

Yesterday, I've bought an old DELL laptop running windows vista SP1 for my windows phone 7 development purpose.
Everything working well.... noooooo.... when I tried to deploy the project to Windows Phone 7 emulator, I've got an error at runtime saying me : 

The current display adapter does not meet the emulator requirements to run XNA Framework applications
.   
After googling, I've found that many user encountered this error. I've tried all of the fix solutions : installing KB,
upgrading system, drivers, directX, changing keys into regedit but not resolve my problem.

My config before any changes was :
Windows Vista SP1.
Graphics : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Divers version : 7.14.0010.1504
Direct X : 11
WDDM : 1.0
DDI Version : 9Ex



This is my config after updates:
Windows Vista SP2.
Graphics : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Divers version : 8.14.0010.1930
Direct X : 11
WDDM : 1.0
DDI Version : 10


You can see yours use the dxdiag command.

After reading the requirements for developing under XNA Framework 4.0 Games, I've found that problem is due to the WDDM version used by windows vista.
Windows 7 uses a WDDM 1.1 which provide a lot of major improvements, especially on the rendering process (GDI/++).
Windows vista uses WDDM 1.0 which is not compatible with XNA Frmwk. However, you can upgrade to 1.1 on Vista but it will have any effect because Windows Vista will always use its original behavior on the rendering process. You can find more information about it on the docs book of XNA Framework.

Conclusion :

If you are under Vista :
When having that error, don't spend your time to upgrade or trying tips on forum :
- use WINDOWS 7 version for your XNA Game development or ... stay on it and use only Silverlight App, they work well.
- or if your phone is dev-unlocked, try to deploy directly to your device.


If this article was helpful for you, please click on one advertisement link on the blog page ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment